The latest iPod: how it changed marketing history and turned Apple into a tech giant

Updates

Despite the fact that his sales didn’t go down and an advertising agency convinced him, Steve Jobs bet everything on the iPod … and won.

ipod nano.
ipod nano.Apple
  • technology 20 years after launch, Apple will stop selling iPods

It was the chronicle of a predicted death. Apple reported this Tuesday that, 20 years later, it won’t be manufacturing more iPod units, the device that changed the way the entire world listens to music and has changed Apple At the tech giant it is today. Yes, it will continue selling its latest version, the ipod touchUntil the stock runs out.

ipod touch it was the last iPod in the company catalog. It was introduced in 2007 as a . was introduced with functions similar to iPhone but no ability to make phone calls Or send and receive SMS messages. Over the years it has evolved but always as an affordable entry into the world of iOS and the company’s app and game stores.

version on sale today, the ipod touch The seventh generation, was launched in 2019 and is a same processor For the iPhone 7, a four-inch screen and an 8-megapixel camera.

“Music has always been a part of Apple, and has brought it to millions of users in the same way that the iPod made an impact beyond the industry; Redefined the way we discover, listen and share”Explained Greg JoswieckiApple’s Vice President of Marketing.

next to iMacand hand in hand Steve Jobs After his return to the Cupertino Company, iPod was responsible for Apple’s Explosion in PopularityWhich created a more technical point of reference around the world.

The Marketing History That Changed Music

counted in 2018 Hugo CezuMarketing expert and author of the Mindtrix newsletter, in which he breaks down the decision-making process of consumers and how it affects advertising and digital communication, iPod This is not a story about innovation or design, but about how Apple Studied the human mind and applied it in marketing.

Hugo Saaz’s Twitter thread began in 2001, with Apple going through a rough time. “Computer sales have declined significantly. The company reports a net loss of $25 million,” he explains. At the time, the Cupertino-based technology giant was ranked 236th on the Fortune 500 list. Today it is the fourth largest revenue generating company in the US.

Steve Jobs presented the iPod on October 23, 2001, with a “clear and functional” message, Saiz explains: “1,000 songs in your pocket.” “A lot of critics got their hands on the high price tag, or questioned Apple’s move into music devices,” he says, and in fact the initial sales were pretty muted.

first television spot iPod It was very easy. A man showed how quickly songs load while dancing to the rhythm of take california Of propellerheads, and shortly after Apple Opened to a huge market, thanks to its adaptability, to its competition iPod Thief windows,

The crucial moment came with the campaign in 2003. silhouette, which will become the symbol of the firm. Saez remember that Jobs He wasn’t too convinced with the campaign: “They claimed the product was hardly shown, nor explained what it was. lee claw (the agency director and a personal friend of Jobs) and his team convinced him by adding this message: ‘1,000 songs in your pocket’ in pieces.

“Steve knew the Apple brand had lost its appeal among young people,” analyzes the marketing expert, “but he also knew that the computer market was saturated and extremely competitive.” Instead, a market was arising for digital music players. and had a lot of opportunity to grow and not only that, but he could apply and use the halo effect iPod To rejuvenate the brand and position Apple As an innovative company among the youth. This will ensure that consumers do not just buy iPodBut also computers.

So he decided to spend 60% of his advertising budget in 2002 iPodAnd gadget whose sale does not yet intrinsically justify such an investment. By the end of 2003, two million iPod Sold, and in 2004 it was the absolute leader in the market for digital music players. Meanwhile, Apple saw its computer sales increase by 48% in 2005. “Itunes and iPod sales accounted for only 40% of the brand’s total, but the remaining 60% benefited from its success and its image”, reflects Saiz.

Such was the success of the Silhouette campaign that U2 introduced in 2004 Apple The next iPod will appear in the ad for free as long as they can use their new music on it. In return, they’ll get a custom version of it iPod and they will charge royalty for each sale. It was a huge success for both Apple related to U 2,

according to the norms of

trust project

know more


About the Author

The co-owner & marketing chief of "The Business News", Sravya is also good at Writing and communicating. she has good networking skills. she is really passionate about publishing quality news articles. - Thebusinessnews.org - You can reach Her at Facebook:- @sai.sravya.3910

Leave A Response